By: Dr Neena Sharma (M.D. Ayurveda)
Simple Ayurvedic Tips for Stronger Hair
Ayurveda takes a holistic approach to hair-health. According to Ayurveda, your hair reflects your constitution, which is a unique combination of the three Doshas, Vata, Pitta, and Kapha. So, your hair naturally shows the same unique combination of the three Doshas. Any imbalance in the three Doshas leads to various hair-health issues.
Ayurveda prescribes both inside-out and outside-in solutions to strengthen hair. Inside-out solutions refer to those practices that strengthen the body internally and thereby improve hair-health. Outside-in solutions refer to external applications and topical treatments that are absorbed into the skin to strengthen hair and scalp.
Inside-out Solutions According to Ayurveda
- Nutrition – Nutrition is a foundational and long-term solution for hair-health issues according to Ayurveda. Called Ahara, nutrition is critical in providing the scalp and hair with a balance of all the essential nutrients it needs to be healthy. A balanced diet for strong hair includes all the major food groups, especially proteins, healthy fats, vitamins, and minerals. Hydration is also important.
- Herbs to support hair health – Ayurveda provides a treasure trove of herbs that you can take to strengthen your hair. Bhringraj prevents hair loss and promotes growth from follicles. Anantmool is excellent for pacifying Pitta imbalance and healing skin and scalp disorders. Haridra or turmeric lengthens the growth phase of hair. You can find many such powerful herbs in supplements like Neem Ayu Anti Hair Fall Capsules and Neem Ayu Anti Dandruff Capsules.
- Lifestyle changes – According to Ayurveda, lifestyle changes are also critical for developing healthy and strong hair. It is important to reduce stress, as stress can aggravate any hair-health issues. It is also important to get a good night’s sleep, practice yoga and meditation, and give up unhealthy habits like smoking, excessive drinking, and eating junk food.
Outside-in Solutions According to Ayurveda
- Oil massage – Ayurveda stresses the importance of using medicated hair oils to massage your hair and scalp. Oiling can take the form of Shirodhara or Shiroabhyanga, two different styles of oil application and massaging that have different uses. The former improves circulation and causes better hair growth. The latter strengthens the roots and scalp. You can also oil your hair at home with Ayurvedic oils like Neem Ayu Anti Dandruff Oil and Neem Ayu Anti Hair Fall Oil.
- Hair hygiene – It is important to maintain good hair hygiene by washing hair regularly to avoid clogged hair follicles. However, according to Ayurveda, it is important to follow certain hair-healthy practices while washing hair. While cleansing, you should use mild shampoos with herbal ingredients and zero paraben or sulphates, like Neem Ayu Anti Dandruff Shampoo and Neem Ayu Anti Hair Fall Shampoo. You should use lukewarm water rather than hot water and allow hair to dry naturally.
- Applications of herbal compounds – You can also apply pastes of herbal compounds to your hair and scalp to build hair strength. According to Ayurveda, this practice is called Shirolepa. You can use a number of different herbs mixed with curd, besan, or water to make a paste that will address your specific hair complaints. For example, you can use Amla to rejuvenate your scalp, Reetha to remove dandruff, Methi to improve scalp health, and so on.
Everyone wants beautiful, lustrous hair that can turn heads. For hair to be truly beautiful, it needs to be healthy and strong. To get hair that is strong from within and outside, you can follow the Ayurvedic tips given above. Following the ancient wisdom of Ayurveda will help you to ensure your hair’s health and give it the oomph that it deserves.