By: Dr. Neena Sharma (M.D. Ayurveda)
Top 10 Foods for Hair Growth
Strong, healthy, and shiny hair is an indication of good health. And like the body’s overall health, hair health and growth are also closely connected to a nutritious and balanced diet.
Here are the top 10 foods that’ll help your hair grow strong and luscious.
- Eggs – Eggs are one of the best foods for hair-health. They are a great source of protein, the building block of hair follicles. Eggs are also rich in Biotin, which is the source of the hair protein Keratin. Eggs boost collagen production, improving hair strength and density. Eggs also have zinc, selenium, and other vitamins and minerals to boost hair growth.
- Fruits Rich in Vitamin C – Vitamin C is one of the most critical ingredients for hair growth. It produces collagen to strengthen hair and prevent breakage. Citrus fruits like oranges, lemons, sweetlimes (mosambi), and pomelo are a great source of Vitamin C. Other fruits rich in Vitamin C include amla, guava, and berries.
- Green Leafy Vegetables –Leafy vegetables are a powerhouse of hair-healthy nutrients like Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Carotene, Potassium, Iron, Keratin, and Folate. Spinach, Mustard greens (sarson saag), Kale, Coriander, Amaranth, etc are some green leafy vegetables you can include in your daily diet for hair growth.
- Fatty Fish – Fatty fish like salmon, sardine, mackerel (bangda), pomfret, seer fish (surmai), catla, and Bombay duck (bombil) are rich in omega-3 fatty acids. These healthy fats are highly beneficial for your skin, scalp, and hair. Fatty fish also contain Vitamin D, B vitamins, protein, and selenium that boost hair-health.
- Foods with Beta Carotene – Vegetables like sweet potatoes, carrots, pumpkin, and peas, and fruits like mangoes, plums, and musk melons are rich in the compound Beta Carotene. Beta Carotene is converted into Vitamin A by our body. Vitamin A promotes har growth and regulates the production of sebum that keeps the scalp hydrated and nourished.
- Nuts and Seeds – Nuts provide nourishment for hair growth through E and B vitamins, zinc, and essential fatty acids. Seeds contain phosphorus, magnesium, iron, zinc, copper, and selenium. To give a powerful boost to your hair’s health, you can include nuts like peanuts, almonds, and walnuts, and seeds like sesame and sunflower in your daily diet.
- Legumes – Legumes are a well-known source of protein, which is essential for strong and healthy hair. They also contain several vitamins, minerals, and anti-oxidants that your scalp and hair need. Beans, moong, moringa, and soybean are some of the best foods you can eat to get healthy, shiny, and strong hair.
- Milk Products – Several milk products can give a massive boost to hair growth. Curd is full of protein, B vitamins, and gut-healthy bacteria that lead to better absorption of nutrients for hair. Buttermilk helps to absorb nutrients and is a good source of both calcium and hydration. Ghee is a great source of several hair-healthy vitamins.
- Spices – Many household spices have surprising benefits for hair growth. Fennel is a hormone harmoniser, which helps hair growth for people with metabolic issues. Fenugreek reduces hair damage due to stress. Curry leaves are rich in iron and folic acid. Cumin seeds help absorb the nutrients your hair needs for growth. Cinnamon improves circulation.
- Hydration – Last but not least, hydration is critical for hair-health and growth. It helps in circulation, reducing inflammation, and ensures that nutrients reach every strand. You can consume melons, cucumber, tomatoes, and lettuce to supplement your fluid intake as these fruits and vegetables contain up to 95% water.
While there is no substitute for a healthy and balanced diet, you might sometimes need to support your diet through nutritional supplements. In such cases, it is always a good idea to opt for safe and herb-based Ayurvedic products like Neem Ayu Anti Hair Fall Capsule and Neem Ayu Anti Dandruff Capsule.