The connection between diet and hair health is undeniable. There are many causes of hair fall, but diet is often an ignored aspect of this issue. It is important to avoid foods that weaken hair and cause hair loss. So, let us look at some food items that can damage your hair and cause hair loss.
List of food items to avoid
Most of the food items that lead to hair fall are highly processed, which means that they are deficient in essential ingredients for hair health. Some of them also contain high levels of substances that are harmful to hair. Here’s a list of five such food items that you should avoid.
- Foods with high levels of mercury – High levels of mercury, a heavy metal, cause hair fall by depleting the body of zinc. It may come as a surprise, but one of the most common sources of mercury intake is Fish. Some types of fish like mackerel, surmai (seer fish), bhetki (barramundi), sea bass, shark, swordfish, and some varieties of tuna have high levels of mercury. You can substitute these with sardines, Rawas (Indian Salmon), fresh-water fish like Catla, shrimp, etc. that have low mercury in your diet.
- Foods rich in processed sugar– Foods loaded in processed sugar can increase sebum production, which can lead to increased dandruff and hair fall. Excess sugar can also affect blood circulation, including circulation in your head and scalp. Overeating of sugary foods like chocolates, candy, cakes, cookies, and sugary drinks can also impact insulin production, which in turn further increases hair loss. Instead, you can eat natural sweeteners like jaggery (which has additional health benefits) and have fruits instead of sweets.
- Food with a high glycaemic index – Foods high in glycaemic index (simple carbohydrates) are easily broken down into sugar in the body, essentially doing the same kind of damage to hair that processed sugary foods do. Such foods include pasta, starchy white bread, cakes, biscuits, pancakes made with flour, etc. You can easily swap them out for whole grains, whole wheat products, and other complex carbohydrates.
- Junk food – Everyone knows that junk food is bad for health as it causes high blood pressure, cholesterol, and heart diseases. But junk food is equally bad for hair. It causes excessive production of sebum, which causes hair fall. The overall impact to the cardiovascular system also impacts hair quality and strength. You can eat fruits, fresh vegetables, and roasted healthy snacks instead of pizza, burgers, or fries.
- Alcohol – Alcohol does not contain any nutrients. It is not even a good source of hydration. In fact, it causes dehydration, drying out your hair and making it prone to breakage. Some types of alcoholic beverages can also add empty calories to your diet, leading to excess glucose, insulin disruption, and ultimately hair loss. You can avoid alcohol and opt for healthy drinks like sugarless fruit juices, vegetable juices, or coconut water.
It is not easy to avoid these foods as they are tasty and habit-forming. But switching to healthier food, taking herbal supplements like Neem Ayu Anti Hair Fall capsules, and practising hair care using ayurvedic products like Neem Ayu Anti Hair Fall Shampoo and Neem Ayu Anti Hair Fall Oil will definitely help to avoid hair fall. Push these unhealthy foods out of your diet, and your hair will thank you!
(image by wayhomestudio on Freepik)