Ayurveda is an ancient Indian system of medicine that promotes the use of natural ingredients to maintain and improve health. One of the most popular Ayurvedic practices for hair health is hair oiling. Here, we will talk about the science behind Ayurvedic hair oiling, why it works, and how to do it.
Why Ayurvedic Hair Oiling Works
According to Ayurveda, hair oiling can help balance the three doshas - Vata, Pitta, and Kapha - that are believed to influence hair health. If there is a balance of doshas, it promotes healthy hair growth and prevents hair problems such as dryness, brittleness, and breakage.
Hair oiling nourishes the hair and the scalp, thus helping in strengthening hair follicles, preventing hair loss, and promoting healthy hair growth. The oil forms a protective layer around the hair shaft, locking in moisture and preventing damage from factors such as pollution and sun exposure.
Additionally, Ayurvedic hair oils often contain natural ingredients such as herbs, spices, and essential oils that have been shown to promote hair health. For example, bhringraj, a popular Ayurvedic hair oil ingredient, has been shown to improve blood circulation to the scalp, nourish hair follicles, and prevent hair loss.
How to Do Ayurvedic Hair Oiling
- Choose the Right Oil: There are many different Ayurvedic hair oils to choose from, each with its own unique blend of ingredients. Look for oils that contain natural ingredients that are beneficial for hair health, such as bhringraj, amla, neem, and coconut oil. Neem Ayu Anti Hair Fall Oil is one such good oil
- Section Your Hair: Divide your hair into sections and apply the oil to each section, starting at the roots and working your way down to the ends.
- Massage Your Scalp: Use your fingertips to massage the oil into your scalp in a circular motion. This will help improve blood circulation to the scalp and distribute the oil evenly.
- Leave the oil in your hair for at least 2-3 hours or overnight for best results. Cover your hair with a shower cap or towel to prevent the oil from transferring onto your bedding.
- Wash Your Hair: Wash your hair thoroughly with a gentle shampoo to remove the oil. You may need to shampoo your hair twice to completely remove the oil.